Options Available for Memorializing Cremated Remains

July 27th, 2023 in Cremation and Memorialization
Options Available for Memorializing Cremated Remains

For those wanting to do something beyond cremation, in some way memorializing the cremated remains, there are lots of options available. In today’s blog, we are going to talk about some of the possibilities of what you can do with cremains.


Most commonly, one person keeps the cremains or cremains are divided between family members.

Another possibility is to have cremains buried or stored with the remains of other family members in a family mausoleum or tomb.

The third traditional option for cremated remains is to spread some or all of the ashes on land or at sea. The rules for spreading ashes vary depending on the jurisdiction where you want to spread them.


Some funeral homes that perform cremation allow you to have a memorial plaque that hangs somewhere on the funeral grounds, which includes information about the deceased.

There are companies that will use some cremains to create keepsakes, such as blown glass items, paperweights, or jewelry. Typically, only a small amount of ashes are used.

It is possible to bury the ashes when planting a tree, which symbolizes the circle of life. The theory behind this is the ashes nourish the growing tree.

Other exotic possibilities include using some ashes to create a diamond—this is obviously not something that can be done at home. Ashes can also be mixed with paints, and there are those that use some ashes in tattoo ink.

There are very few rules that apply to what you can do with the ashes once you take them home. So, your creativity and your budget will dictate how far you want to go with memorializing the cremains. 

You are always welcome to contact us if you would like to talk about cremation. We can be reached in Vancouver at (604) 809-2006 

We believe every family deserves respect, reverence, and compassion. If you have any questions about this article or would like to talk to us about cremation services, please call or text (604) 809-2006.


Post a Reply